Alcohol, Drugs and Harmful Substances Policy
TAMARIKI SCHOOL BOARD OF TRUSTEES
POLICY ON ALCOHOL, DRUGS AND HARMFUL SUBSTANCES
The school seeks to monitor the use of all drugs and psychotropic substances in the school.
This policy refers to alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription and non-prescription drugs, mind-altering substances, psychoactive substances (such as legal highs, party pills, synthetic cannabis, etc) solvents, and other harmful substances.
1. To provide a healthy and safe environment for all members of the community.
2. To comply with all legal obligations with regard to drugs and other substances.
1. No illegal substances may be brought onto school property, or any environment where school rules apply. This also applies to inhalant substances which are not illegal but are addictive and damaging being brought into the school for this purpose.
2. No alcohol may be consumed on school premises during school hours.
3. No smoking is permitted in the school grounds at any time.
4. The school may not offer children tea or coffee. Subject to parent consent a child may bring his/her own tea or coffee.
5. Medical drugs may be dispensed by arrangement with a teacher under authorisation from the parent.
6. A competent child may use his/her asthma inhaler as prescribed when necessary without teacher supervision, but the teacher must be informed of this necessity.
7. Teachers should be alert to any possible substance abuse, and respond to it in a way appropriate to that particular child, having regard to the obligation to keep all children safe.
REVIEWED: August 2017
Next review date: August 2020