Staff appointment policy
TAMARIKI SCHOOL BOARD OF TRUSTEES
POLICY ON STAFF APPOINTMENT
Linked to: STAFF APPOINTMENT PROCEDURE - PERMANENT AND FIXED-TERM
RATIONALE The selection of appropriate staff is crucial to maintaining the Special Character of the school.
To ensure that any appointee recognises and understands the Special Character of the school.
To ensure that the appointee is committed to retaining the Special Character of the school.
To appoint staff who will work well with the entire school community.
To appoint persons who like and are comfortable working with children in a democratic education setting.
To appoint staff using fair and appropriate procedures.
Meet legal requirements
Act as a good employer.
Appoint the most suitable person for the job.
The most suitable person for the job will be appointed in accordance with the Equal Employments Opportunities Policy, Vulnerable Children’s Act and all other current legislation.
Appointment committees will be created according to the guidelines offered below:
1. The most suitable person for the job will be appointed in accordance with the Special Character and Equal Employments Opportunities Policy and all relevant legislation.
2. A comprehensive job description shall be provided to all applicants.
3. All permanent appointments will be made by an appointment committee consisting of at least; the Principal, BOT Chairperson and a Proprietor’s Representative. Other appointment committee members may be co-opted by the Board of Trustees as necessary.
4. One member of the appointment committee shall be appointed as secretary.
5. All other appointments are made by the Principal in consultation with the BoT Chairperson or delegate.
The Board of Trustees recognises its responsibility to be a good employer, to appoint staff using appropriate procedures, and to value and support staff.
Adopted and Reviewed: 15th August 2017
Next review date: August 2020